Monday, April 5, 2010

River God

I found peace on a river, once
Floating calm, the birds my guide
No shipwrecks to avoid
No provisions to buy

Found but not kept
For snaking rivers end in teeth
And that one ends beneath...

Over the falls, there I fell
Falling, drowning in mid air
Tall rock standing stoic
Empty reasonless stare

How hard it is
To keep what's found! Futile notion
To float without motion...

To float and never drown
Like hearing silenced sound

Still, occasionally at night
Passing between the deep voids
I feel the distant hope
Of some alien joy

Heaving a sigh,
Forgetting what's behind, what's left
For to learn foreign tongues,

To learn to re-invest;
This will be the real test

2 comments:

Cory Isaac said...

It's great. I enjoy lines 12-16. The meter is unsteady but the rhyming is strong: a perfect representation of the unrest of floating without motion.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.